Whether you are a designer who wants to learn how to write brand messaging for your clients, or an entrepreneur interested in brand storytelling—this is the ultimate guide to telling your brand story in 2021.
1. Conserving financial resources—Which is saving money, so if you can help people save money, you just speak to their basic need for survival.
2. Conserving time—Which means that in developed countries people are familiar with the notion of opportunity cost. So If you can help people save time or be more efficient - you just tapped into their survival mechanism.
3. Building social networks—If your brand can help people find community—you just tapped into yet another survival mechanism. As humans, we always feel need to connect with others, to nurture and be nurtured.
4. Gaining status—You could think that brands like Mercedes and Rolex don’t seem to make much of a practical sense in terms of survival, but this is not true if you consider the importance of status.
You see, Luxury brands sell identity associated with power, prestige and refinement. In any tribe, status is a survival mechanism, because it repels potential foes and attracts powerful allies.
5. Accumulating resources—If you can help people make more money or accumulate resources, that will quickly translate into a person’s desire for survival.
Offering increased productivity, increased revenue, or decreased waste are powerful associations with the need to survive and thrive.
6. Desire to be generous—Nearly all humans have an enormous potential for generosity.
Being sacrificial actually helps us survive by decreasing outside criticism and it also helps us earn trust in our tribe. We are all empathetic and caring creatures.
7. Desire for meaning—You probably know about Sigmund Freud and his concept that people always look for pleasure.
Well Viktor Frankl insinuate that the chief desire of a man is actually not pleasure but meaning.
People want to participate into something greater than themselves—a movement, a cause to champion, a fight against villain.